On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 09:20:12 UTC-4 Friedrich Romstedt wrote:

> From what I understand, this would set the new line's indentation
> level to the maximum of 3 and the previous indentation level, am I
> right?
>
> When I am correct, this would mean that your proposed change would
> make it possible to indent by *more* than 3 spaces, and the
> indentation would be preserved. However, when indenting with *less*
> than 3 spaces, 3 spaces would be chosen?

Yes, that's right.  I had thought that the suggestion was to preserve
indentation within comment blocks, in the same way that indentation is
preserved in text, which seems very reasonable to me.

In the current version, comments always indent to three spaces.

> [...] I proposed to remove the extra rule of indentation
> for comments/directives *entirely*, keeping only the standard
> propagation of indentation. This would mean, that the User (e.g., me)
> would need to ident the second line of such a comment or directives
> block *once*, and then the indentation would be propagated. This
> functionality already exists, and would remain without any alteration.

I see, you want to remove the indentation of comments entirely, and have it
entirely depend on the previous line.

While I didn't introduce the comment indentation, I do personally find it
useful to stay inside of the comment block, particularly when writing code
snippets.  At the least, I think this would need to be something disabled
by the user, as suggested by Christian.

There could also be some odd consequences here, e.g. autoindentation of the
whole file, that would need to be explored.

Hopefully I am not too late with this reply.

The branch is still unmerged (and I am terrible about sending updates
anyway) so please do add your comments here, and hopefully we can get
additional feedback in the vim-restructuredtext repo:

https://github.com/marshallward/vim-restructuredtext/pull/64