I seldom use gvim on Linux and even less often use :sh from gvim, so
I didn't notice this until recently when projects and my workflow
changed.

When :sh is used in gvim to launch a shell, the backspace and ^U no
longer work.  Instead of backspacing or clearing the line, each just
puts gibberish in the line.  I discovered that each was broken by
a different commit, so I'm reporting them separately.

Steps to reproduce

 1. $ vim -g -N -u NONE -i NONE
 2. :sh
 3. Type a bunch of printing characters, it doesn't seem to matter
    what.  For example:

        $ hello

 4. Type ^U (Ctrl-U).
 5. The line changes to something I can't reproduce here.  It's
    something like this:

        $ hello  |00|   |00|  u
                 |9B|   |9B|

    where the 'u' has an umlaut and each box occupies two spaces on
    the one line.  That line is immediately followed by these two
    (so a newline must have been inserted, too):

        Uhello\udc9b\udcfc: command not found
        $ U

    Hitting Enter at this point results in this:

        U: command not found

Expected behavior

    The 'hello' should be erased and the cursor moved to the start
    of the now-empty line.

Version of Vim

    9.0.651

Environment

 Operating system:  Ubuntu 20.04.5
 Terminal: Not applicable, but gvim launched from an xterm
 Value of $TERM:
    In the original xterm: xterm-256color
    In the :sh shell: dumb
 Shell: bash
 Desktop: xfce4
    Behavior is the same in GNOME on Ubuntu 22.04.

Last output from 'git bisect':

    $ git bisect good
    f4ae6b245a54f11dd967d06b80f30e5abf55fb82 is the first bad commit
    commit f4ae6b245a54f11dd967d06b80f30e5abf55fb82