On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 1:00 PM Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:
[...]
> OK.  Changing commits would be rewriting history, that sounds like
> something we don't want, even though it looks like some commits were not
> done right.  I tried creating diffs from the tagged commits, but those
> are a bit messy too.  I'll not try to fix more, unless someone can tell
> me the git commands that will make something better.  E.g. updating the
> description to say what the commit is really about.  But only if this
> won't have undesired side effects.
[...]
IIUC, the 40-nybble commit ID is computed from the parent's ID and
everything in the new commit including the description (but not the
tag(s) if any, which are added afterwards). This would mean that
changing a description would actually mean deleting a commit and
everything descended from it, then recreating all these deleted
commits with different contents (and in particular different IDs),
thus making the repository incompatible with any users' repositories
where any of the now deleted commits had been downloaded.

I agree with Christian: leave it as-is, it is not perfect (perfection
is not of this world) but we can live with it.

Best regards,
Tony.