> For the value 7, ctermfg and ctermbg gives different colors. 'ctermfg=7'
> gives non-bold white, which is expected.  But 'ctermbg=7' gives bold
> Black color.  I'm assuming there is a if-conditional somewhere that's
> causing this distinction.  If so, where is the conditional in the source
> code?  If not, why is this happening?
>
> P.S.  I'm on Windows.  I have a Linux laptop but haven't checked if this
> behavior is reproducible on that OS.

Color support depends on the terminal.  Background and foreground
settings are often different, especially with older terminals and a low
number of colors supported.  Sometimes the "bold" flag changes the color
between a darker and lighter color.  You can find some information at
":help highlight-ctermfg".

--
Engineers are always delighted to share wisdom, even in areas in which they
have no experience whatsoever.  Their logic provides them with inherent

\\\        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ ///