G'day Ron,

On Sun, 3 Sept 2023 at 22:33, Ron Aaron <ronware....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just given a bug report for a new version of my syntax file, and
> the problem is that a syntax keyword with a lone '[' doesn't work (it
> causes an error  message  E789)
>
> I have 'syn iskeyword 33-255' (because everything except a space is a
> valid keyword identifier) but the syntax parser in vim doesn't like it.
>
> I have other keywords with [ but they pair with a ], and my guess is that
> these are being (improperly) treated as character classes.
>
> How can I get a keyword like SQL[ to be recognized?

I don't believe you can.  We ran into the same issue with the Forth syntax
file and just use syn-match for words that include '['.

The [...] matches an optional sequence like %[..] in a pattern.  There's
actually a help entry for E789.

It could be changed to respect the 'isk' value(s) over the optional
sequence but I'm not sure one is better than the other.  It's not
inconceivable that the pattern might be heavily used even though '[' is
included in 'isk' for a small number of keywords.

Regards,
Doug