On 2023-10-04, Darin Hensley wrote:
> I am compiling VIM in Ubuntu 20.04. I tried compiling it according to this
> doc.
> However, I can not get it to read the system file /etc/vim. It also does not
> read ~./vimrc and does not read ~/.vim/ (contains colors, pack, plugins, etc)
> and does not read ~/.vimrc. Where do I set these settings so it compiles with
> these?

The default configuration should just work.  I've never had to set
any of those when building Vim.  The system I use most often is also
Ubuntu 20.04.

The output of :version or "vim --version" should contain a block
like this, where the locations of all those files are shown.

       system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
         user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
     2nd user vimrc file: "~/.vim/vimrc"
          user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
        user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
    2nd user gvimrc file: "~/.vim/gvimrc"
           defaults file: "$VIMRUNTIME/defaults.vim"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/local/share/vim"

Does yours look like that?

Also, you can see where Vim is finding these files at startup with
the :scriptnames command.  What files does that command show?

If those don't give you enough clues, then another tool to try is
strace, e.g.,

    $ strace -o strace.out vim -cq

The resulting strace.out file will show you all the files that vim
checked the status of and tried to open.  That would show if vim
tried to open any of those files and why it may have failed.

HTH,
Gary