* D. Ben Knoble <vim-dev-git...@256bit.org> [231107 11:30]:
> Sticking our heads in the sand and refusing to deal with it because it
> isn't "technical" only means we are content with the status quo and
> won't change it. I'm not content with the status quo of "he" as
> "gender neutral" in technical writing. Singular "they" is accepted and
> encouraged in academic and technical writing:
> - https://gist.github.com/0xabad1dea/8870b192fd1758743f66
> - https://apastyle.apa.org/blog/singular-they
> - https://writing.stackexchange.com/q/2979/33198
>
> The use of "they" is very established and poses practically no
> problems (when ambiguity is introduced, we should be writing without
> pronouns anyway to remove it).

I'm sorry, but this is political correctness gone _very_ wrong.  Taking
a pronoun that has since the beginning of the English language been
specifically plural, and trying to use it as sometimes-plural,
sometimes-singular, is extremely confusing in many circumstances.
Attempting to claim otherwise is sticking your head in the sand.

The analogy that "you" can be either singular or plural does not hold
any water at all.  Again, this has been that way from the beginning of
the English language, and it still causes confusion occasionally, but
_everyone_ is aware of the potential confusion, and clarification is
usually made when necessary.  This is not so with written documents that
may easily outlive any current political correctness, where the context
may be lost in the future.

Especially in technical writing, the use of "he" as gender-nonspecific
is absolutely clear; there is no specific person to whom the pronoun
refers, so it _must_ be nonspecific.

Several other suggestions from the gender variant community, such as
ze/zir, have been made that are completely unambiguous.  Choose one of
those.  Everyone, especially the gender variant community, should be
pushing back on the use of "they" as singular.

...Marvin