On 2024-02-20, tyler-suard-parker wrote:
> @chrisbra @zzzyxwvut I understand, I used Nano for years, despite Vim being
> the
> vastly superior editor, because Nano has the hotkeys right there on the
> screen,
> which makes it way easier to use. I know we can't do that with Vim, but just
> having some of the essential commands right there on the main screen would go
> long way to making Vim more user-friendly for beginners and more popular.
> Also,
> it is not clear that on-line help will show what the keystrokes are, or how to
> use Vim. When I read on-line help, I think of talking to a tech support
> representative, who might tell me that Vim is working but would not tell me
> how
> to use it.

Except that that intro screen is there only until the user makes
some change to the buffer, then it's gone.  At that point, the user
is not going to remember a long list of commands, but they may
remember a very short list telling them how to exit and how to find
help.  I think that showing them more information than is already
there would actually be _less_ helpful.

Vim's built-in help _does_ show what the important keystrokes are as
well as directing the user to more topics.  It is probably the best
help system you will find in any editor.  In fact, if a new user
learns only one thing from the intro screen, it should be to type
":help".  That will show them how to quit.

If you think that there should be an easier way for the user to find
the list of commands you suggested, putting them in an easy-to-
discover place under :help would be better than on the intro screen.

Regards,
Gary