Indeed, it is often hard to determine exactly what kind of file has
the Markdown filetype. Any suffix you decide to use can do
(.mkd, .markdown, .text, etc.). Also, the design philosophy behind
Markdown was precisely that it was meant to be based on standard,
plain text files. I find it fairly easy to read and edit plain text
files with Markdown syntax, and only call the filetype plugin whenever
I need to apply some kind of transformation, or export the file.

So that could make a right mess out of using different filetype
icons.  Aside from the bundle size issue which Nico points out.

Come to think of it, what (Mac)Vim needs is a more advanced, more
fully-featured Markdown mode. Right now, I'm using Multi-markdown, and
export by piping the file "manually" (a couple of keybindings).

Best,

Kamen