On 24 March 2010 12:50, Andrew Stewart wrote:
>> I have set the MacVim preference "Open files from applications" to "in
>> the current window and set the arglist".  This give the behaviour I
>> want when double-clicking in the Finder -- but doesn't for the
>> Terminal.
>
> Aha: making use of the above, I can get the result I want.  In the
> Terminal:
>
>    $ open "mvim://open?url=file:///path/to/file"
>
> And this respects the MacVim preference.
>
> If there's a more direct way I'd like to hear it...but for now this
> will do.

If you have the above preference set it is enough to simply use:

open -a MacVim.app filename1 filename2

etc.

If you have several windows open and want to specify which one to open
a file in you need to use the --remote and --servername arguments to
the "mvim" script (see ":h mvim"), e.g.

mvim --servername VIM --remote filename

(The server name can be gleaned from the window title.)

Björn