Sure.

The patch is here:  (I should really set up an hg mirror, I'm thinking
more and more I want to make this a bit less ugly than some compile-
time always-on hack)

http://dev.jmoiron.net/vim-shadow.patch

Here are some assorted screenshots:

http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shadow.png
http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shadow2.png
http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shad-dark.png
http://jmoiron.net/~jmoiron/ss/vim-shad-light.png

It doesn't look all that hot on light backgrounds;  I think either my
darkening algorithm is a little too severe.  I worked in a catch for
fairly bright colors, but it's got all sorts of caveats (anything very
red will be considered "bright").  Still, once rendering the effect is
possible, determining the right shadow color is probably a less
difficult issue.

-- Jason