On 3 May 2017 at 13:11, Alla <vitale.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see your point, and thank you for explaining this. As a beginner in
> programming
> I still can't decipher a good advice from a bad one. That one sounded
> reasonable for those who are just starting using Vim, and this could help
> them
> to develop a physical habit of avoiding "easy" conventional tools, which are
> redundant and not useful in Vim.

Let me be more specific in this case. The arrow keys are designed to
help you navigate. No matter what Vim enthusiasts say, I do not
consider using arrow keys is a problem. You have to use arrow keys in
other application, so using them is not a bad habit. It is especially
the case in Insert Mode, as there are no alternatives.

> And no, I didn't start the new instance of Vim. I just did, and, yes, it
> works.
>
> Could you, please, share what types of changes/settings are reasonable
> to add to vimrc?

There are simply too many settings in Vim. I believe you can find a
lot of tutorials. It is process of continuous learning. And people
normally also have a lot of plugins, which may or may not be reflected
in their .vimrc files.

I have an old Linux .vimrc already on the web. Although it is a bit
outdated, my current .vimrc on Mac is evolved from that one. Maybe you
can consult that one first:

http://wyw.dcweb.cn/vim/.vimrc.html

It is commented, and you can do ":help keyword" for features you are
not familiar with.

A few more additions:

" The plugin package bundled with Vim 8 is useful, when you
" accidentally opening a file a second time.
if v:version >= 800
  packadd! editexisting
endif

" Vim 7+ has spelling check
if has('syntax')
  nmap <silent> <F7>      :setlocal spell!<CR>
  imap <silent> <F7> <C-O>:setlocal spell!<CR>
endif

" Make syntax highlighting more accurate by synchronizing more lines
au BufReadPost *                  syn sync minlines=1000

--
Yongwei Wu

---