I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and Vim 7.1.138.

I've set in my ~/.vimrc file the following:

set lines=48 columns=80

In order that Gvim opens with that display properties. This works
fine.

However, now, when I use "vim" from a Terminal (terminal emulator
for the Gnome desktop, version 2.22.1), and open vim, the display
shows the file displaced in some strange way, in such a way that
the line being edited is not the line being displayed.

That means, for example, that if I search a pattern in my file, it
will apparently move through the file as it is going to the next
pattern positon, but the actual display of the file is not showing
the right file position, the cursor standing in places where
there is nothing written, for instance, or anywhere else.
It seems that the display and editing buffers
are not synchronized.

Removing the "set lines..." resolvs the issue, but then gvim opens
with the standard size (which is less terrible, but I would like that
to work well).

Does someone observe the same behavior?

Thanks,
Leandro.