On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 23:15, Matt Wozniski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It might be good to know, but it's certainly not relevant to whatever
> problem these people are seeing...  My WAG is that they're seeing a
> font rendering regression (Pango? Freetype?), since I can reproduce
> this problem in Debian Unstable with GTK2-GNOME gvim (105 seconds for
> Dominique's benchmark) but not with the X11-Motif gvim (14 seconds for
> Dominique's benchmark) or xterm/screen (13 seconds).

I tried to compile GVim with Motif (benchmark: 3.7 secs) and with GTK
(benchmark: 8.2 secs), so that indeed looks like an issue with GTK2
and the way it renders the fonts (since GTK is way faster with the
same font). I also tried using the "fixed" font with GTK2, but I get
the same result as with courier new.

I tried GEdit and did not see any rendering slowness during a normal
usage, editing the same file as with GVim (syntax highlighting enabled
in both cases of course). I know they don't work in the same way, and
that a problem with Pango may be noticeable with GVim and not with
another editor, but could the problem specifically come from the way
GVim uses GTK2 to render text (instead of coming from Pango)?