Ben Schmidt wrote:
>> thanks for the try. "f", "ctrl-G" etc. determines how many lines the
>> file has, not the actual line.
>>

> Maybe some option makes them less verbose. But I didn't think so. For me
> each of them shows 'Line x of xxx' and 'x' is the line my cursor is
> currently on. What does yours show?

Hello!

If you have
  :set ruler
then you get a shorter message from ctrl-g and :f .  Try

  :set noruler
  :f

and you should get the "line ### of ###  --##%-- col ##-##" style
response.  Actually, there's a number of things in the shortmess option
that will affect the response to ctrl-g and :f, too.

Regards,
Chip Campbell