On 19/11/08 14:16, Ben Schmidt wrote:
> Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
>> i have some paths and other stuff defined in bashrc and when i start
>> vim from command line everything works but when i use gvim it seems
>> like stuff i defined in bashrc are not loaded.
>> any idea what's wrong?
>>
>> Aljosa
>
> What operating system? What window manager? Etc.
>
> How are you starting gvim?
>
> Does logging out and back in (or restarting) help?
>
> Vim inherits its environment from whatever started it. If you start it
> from your desktop, where does your desktop get its environment from?
> Whatever started that. Quite possibly your login shell. But its stuff
> got set when you logged in, so it won't take effect until you log out
> and in again.
>
> If you provide more specifics though, someone can probably give you more
> specific assistance (probably not me as I'm on a Mac, so it's quite
> different!).
>
> Ben.

On Linux, your desktop gets its environment from the window manager you
selected (or defaulted) at (graphical) login time, totally bypassing
bash. I'm not sure where the winmanager inherits its environment from --
probably from init I think. Depending on which winmanager you are using,
it may or may not be possible to configure it to set some user-defined
settings at login time (I use kdm and I haven't found any place to set
such settings).

To set some particular settings just for Vim, you can always set them in
your vimrc, of course.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music.
                -- Groucho Marx