On 19/11/08 18:11, Tom Link wrote:
>> (LISP(Lost (In) (Stupid) (Parentheses)) =)
>
> Come on folks. The elisp dialect is a pretty old one that AFAIK hasn't
> undergone any major changes for years. Nevertheless it's suitable to
> do all sorts of things and it is quite stable.
>
> elisp's weak spot is its dynamic binding. Otherwise it's cool and
> practical (as proven for many years).
>
> parentheses rock.

Ever had a look at FORTH? If, like me, you had, you'd know that
parentheses suck.

Don't

        multiply(add(a, b), subtract(c, d))

but rather do

        a b + c d - *

Much more elegant.

Or if you find it too terse, not understandable enough for someone
allergic to math (not that LISP be any better than Sanskrit either, if
you're allergic to math), then use good old COBOL:

        ADD A B GIVING TEMP-1.
        SUBTRACT D FROM C GIVING TEMP-2.
        MULTIPLY TEMP-1 TEMP-2 GIVING RESULT.

No need to have learnt the language to understand what _this_ means.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
        He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp
        Or to have his eyes gouged out and his elbows broken;