On 09/12/08 05:11, Marc Weber wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:03:03AM +0800, Steven Woody wrote:
>> I want to compare difference of two whole directory (with
>> subdirectories). Is vimdiff help in this case?  I know, there is a
>> program winmrege on windows can do this task, but I am finding a
>> solution on Linux.  Any suggest will be highly appreciated.
>
> diff -R foo/ bar/ | vim or such..

On my system, diff rejects -R as "invalid option". Looking into "man 1
diff" or "info diff" shows that it should have been either -r or
--recursive (but in lowercase).

You may want other options to define the diff format -- RTFM. Note that
AFAICT diff will not only list files present in only one directory tree,
but also compare the contents of files common to both. (I tried -ry
which wasn't very impressive, and -rC1 which was better.)

The first line of the output of "diff --version" is here

        diff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.7-cvs

> also have a look at
> However its much slower to use.
>
> So it depends on your use case.
>
> Marc Weber

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"Nuclear war would mean abolition of most comforts, and disruption of
normal routines, for children and adults alike."