Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On 05/01/09 04:11, Aman Jain wrote:
>> thanks for the reply tony, but this was not easiest :)
>
> Depends what you call "easiest". I think "the easiest" is o<Esc> (below
> current line) or O<Esc> (above current line), but you said you
> specifically did not want that. If one key (F5, once you've set it up
> once and for all in your vimrc) is not "the easiest" then I wonder what is.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

I was a little confused why the original question suggested 'o<ESC>', instead
of just 'o'.
<ESC> has nothing to do with adding a new line.

If you're already in insert mode, then simply hitting 'return' (twice, if
you're not on the beginning/end of a line) will work just fine - similarly to
pretty much any other editor,

If you're not in insert mode, then 'o' will add a blank line.

I would say that, since *I* normally continue typing on the new blank line,
'o' is 'easiest' - no 'esc' necessary. If you want to return to command line,
then press <ESC> as normal.

Max.