(This is my first post in this group!)

Some notes you might find helpful:

1. I'd like to second whoever recommended GNU screen. It's great, and
you should learn to use it. Note that screen has its own virtual
terminal copy and paste functionality, which is occasionally useful.

2. As far as entering a file's path is concerned, are you familiar
with wildmenu? Try ":set wildmenu". You might like it.

3. Use the X clipboard register ('*'). This will allow you to yank and
paste from one vim instance to another. It will also assist you in
integrating vim and your working environment (for instance, you'll be
able to yank text to and from Firefox).

If you'd like to use this register by default, add the following (or
something similar) to your .vimrc:
    set clipboard=autoselect,unnamed

You might also like:
    inoremap <C-v> <C-r>*
    cnoremap <C-v> <C-r>*

(See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Accessing_the_system_clipboard .)

4. The vim help files seem to recommend against using 'autuchdir'. I
use the following:
    autocmd BufEnter * lcd %:p:h

(See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Set_working_directory_to_the_current_file
.)

Also, NERD tree (as others have said) is very good.

Hope this helps.