Hello,

I have now found the problem.

I looked in the source code, and found that ex_diffupdate() writes
temporary files into $TMP/... Well, my $TMP (in both A and B accounts)
points to a directory in the A account, and this directory was only
writable by A, so vim running under B could not create the temp files.
(I don't even remember why I had $TMP defined in the first place; if
it is unset, diffing works.)

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Sam