On Saturday 21 February 2009 7:30 am, Alexander Schrijver wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Vim doesn't seem to do file locking. What is the reason for this?
>
> I also noticed this on the/a todo list (from 2004):
>
> 8   Add file locking.  Lock a file when starting to edit it with flock()
> or
>     fcntl().  This patch has advisory file locking while reading/writing
>     the
>         file: ~/vim/patches/kahn_file_locking .
>
> Will this diff be applied at some point?

this won't protect your file from processes other than vim, but i
recommend and use the editexisting.vim plugin

if you have that plugin, are editing a file in vim and try and open
another vim session on that same file it will error out with a
message and try and bring the existing process to the foreground

sorry i can't post a link to the script -- the search utility for
scripts is useless when all you know is the name of the script and
the maintainer's name -- it's out there, trust me

after 'browse all', 'edit existing' (two words) in the keywords,
sort by script name, ascending, search shows 326 scripts, and
editexisting.vim is not among them

when i specify the exact name (editexisting) the search comes up
empty

sc