boushley wrote:

> I downloaded ctags for windows, and tried the binary that they
> provide precompiled... but no luck... it doesn't have php
> support built in, if I run ctags --list-languages it doesn't
> have PHP in there.

Method 1
--------

After downloading the
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ctags/ec57w32.zip from
exuberant ctags releases page "Source and binary for Windows
98/NT/2000/XP" I have started the .exe in the root of zip
file:

$ ./ctags.exe --version
Exuberant Ctags 5.7, Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Darren Hiebert
  Compiled: Sep  4 2007, 23:24:26
  Addresses: <dhieb...@users.sourceforge.net>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
  Optional compiled features: +win32, +regex, +internal-sort

$ ./ctags.exe --list-languages | grep PHP
PHP

No idea, where do you got your precompiled version, the version
from the exuberant ctags web-page definitely claims to supports
PHP.

Method 2
--------

Install cygwin, use vim for cygwin with cygwin ctags. cygwin
ctags you can either install with cygwin installer (according
their page http://cygwin.com/packages/ctags/, they distributes
5.7-1, so PHP must be compiled in), or you can compile it
yourself (you need to install gcc first for that of course) -
with cygwin it is as simple as: ./configure ; make ; make
install.

But be prepared to learn a bit - if you not yet familiar with
cygwin.

--
Anton