Tom Link wrote:
> When the vimtips were still hosted on vim.sf.net, they were
> also made available as plain text file[1] without any mention
> of the author. So there was no real agreement at any time
> that the tip authors are to be mentioned.

Good point. I just had a look at a copy of the downloaded file you
mentioned (from September 2007). I had been wondering whether it might
be useful to parse the file to extract original author names, but as you
say, it has no names at all.

> When the tips were transferred to wikia one of those tips I
> didn't submit anonymously was misattributed to somebody else
> and there is a chance the same thing happened for a couple of
> other tips. I don't think I could agree but I also don't
> really care that much.

That's interesting (sorry!). Many issues occurred during the import, but
if you could tell me the tip number(s) I'd like to quickly see if I can
figure out what happened.

If anyone is aware of a misattribution on the wiki, please email me
(reply here, or send direct to me) and I'll see that it is fixed.

> Can the whole set of tips be exported somehow?

I'll mention what you can do, but it is NOT really helpful (you get
wikitext and no easy way to find anything).

Wikia take a weekly backup. I occasionally use the following to download
a copy:

wget http://wikistats.wikia.com/dbdumps/vim/pages_current.xml.gz

That expands to a 7MB xml file with all content of the Vim Tips wiki
(tips + user pages + templates + talk etc). There is a second file
(replace "current" with "full"; it expands to over 40MB) that includes
the history of each page. Now all you need is some funky xml parser to
extract what you want.

I also have a script to download the wikitext of each tip to a separate
file. I use that for various maintenance procedures.

John