Y. Hida wrote:
> Is there a way to name a scratch buffer other than "[Scratch]" and still
> be able to have multiple buffers with same name?  Right now I have a
> bunch of scratch buffers:
>
> :ls
>   1 #a   "[No Name]"                    line 1
>   2  h-  "[Scratch]"                    line 1
>   3  a-  "[Scratch]"                    line 0
>   4 %a-  "[Scratch]"                    line 1
>
> and I'd like to rename some subset as "[My scratch]" or some such.
>
> If I try
>
>   :f [My scratch]
>
> to more than one scratch buffer, it complains that buffers cannot have
> the same name.

The ":file" command is the right way to go.  You may be hitting
one of two problems that occur to me:

1) if your new name is literally "[My scratch]", the "[" and "]"
characters may be intercepted as shell metachars and trigger
weirdness.  Try without them:

   :file my_scratch

2) you didn't include the error number, but if you're getting an
"E95: buffer with this name already exists", choose another name
for the 2nd buffer.

-tim