sorry about that matt.

matt, you're a genius :P

i went through my vimrc commenting out different lines and this line
was the culprit:
set highlight=8r,db,es,hs,mb,Mr,nu,rs,sr,tb,vr,ws

i don't even know what that line does hehehe (I can't find any
documentation on that syntax for set highlight

after i commented out that line, everything else worked perfectly!

so can you point me in the right direction of some documentation for
that line?  i'd like to find out why i had that in the first place,
and whether or not i want to keep it for the future.