>Can I get a pointer to the right option or place in the help?
>(and maybe a redirecting link in the help from "help long-lines"
>or under )

Ah!  'display' 'dy', option "lastline":

                                        *'display'* *'dy'*
'display' 'dy'          string  (default "")
                        global
                        {not in Vi}
        Change the way text is displayed.  This is comma separated list
of
        flags:
        lastline        When included, as much as possible of the last
line
                        in a window will be displayed.  When not
included, a
                        last line that doesn't fit is replaced with "@"
lines.
        uhex            Show unprintable characters hexadecimal as <xx>
                        instead of using ^C and ~C.

Haven't actually tried it, but was *sure* I recall seeing that as an
option.