The bug has been fixed in a recentish Vim patch--you can now explicitly enable
ff=dos when opening a file, and Vim will obey you.

:e ++ff=dos

I believe in this case Vim will treat CRLF and LF as line breaks, i.e. it will
silently convert single LF into CRLF. Single CR will show up as ^M in the
buffer.

As long as unix is in your 'ffs' option, though, Vim will autodetect filetype
and
will turn to Unix line endings if it finds a missing CR.

For more details on fileformat detection, and on specifying it explicitly when
opening a file, etc., see

:help 'ff'
:help 'ffs'
:help ++opt
:help file-formats

Remember, though, that this thread was about a bug Vim had where it would
sometimes ignore the ++ff=dos option. It has now been fixed, but only if you
have
a Vim complied with that patch in it will you have the benefit of the fix. I
don't
have time now to look up when it was fixed; someone else may be able to.

Ben.