Hi,

Probably, there is an alias defined in your shell. So when invoke vi from
the shell it could be invoking vim.
And when you invoke the vi from the system() API it could be invoking vi and
not vim.

Check out all the aliases defined on your system (alias command).

The other thing that might happen is,   vi could be a softlink to vim. So
when you invoke vi from the shell, it will instead start the vim session for
you. You can find the exact location of the executable being executed by
using which command.

pra...@prasad-laptop:~/bzr/ftl$ which vi
/usr/bin/vi

pra...@prasad-laptop:~/bzr/ftl$ ls -L /usr/bin/vi
/usr/bin/vi
pra...@prasad-laptop:~/bzr/ftl$ ls -l /usr/bin/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-03-04 23:10 /usr/bin/vi ->
/etc/alternatives/vi

pra...@prasad-laptop:~/bzr/ftl$ ls -l /etc/alternatives/vi
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2009-03-04 18:32 /etc/alternatives/vi ->
/usr/bin/vim.basic

pra...@prasad-laptop:~/bzr/ftl$ ls -l /usr/bin/vim.basic
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1631012 2009-01-08 07:57 /usr/bin/vim.basic

So, on my machine invoking vi  starts a vim.basic session.

Thanks and Reagrds,
Prasad