Hello all.  I have a situation that I can't figure out.

Say that I have set a variable like this:

:let desiredcolumn=42

And now I want to define a mapping that will go to that column on the current
line, using the <bar> command.  My problem is that I can't figure out how to
substitute the variable's value into the 'count' argument of the <bar> command.

Using a constant value is easy enough.  For example:

:map <F2> 42<bar>

But instead of a constant like 42, I want to take the value from my
'desiredcolumn' variable.  Something like this:

:map <F2> desiredcolumn<bar>

But of course that doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.