>> Are you using a Desktop Environment? I believe Klipper and the Gnome
>> clipboard tool can be switched to keep X-Selection and X-Clipboard
>> synchronous

FYI, I think the perfect tool for doing that is autocutsel :
http://www.nongnu.org/autocutsel/

"Autocutsel tracks changes in the server's cutbuffer and CLIPBOARD
selection. When the CLIPBOARD is changed, it updates the cutbuffer.
When the cutbuffer is changed, it owns the CLIPBOARD selection. The
cutbuffer and CLIPBOARD selection are always synchronized. "