On Sep 10, 6:12 am, Tuomas <tuo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since I do a lot of typing, some people recommend that I move to Dvorak
> keyboard. I also use the Vim editor, which seems to be 'designed' to qwerty
> keyboard.
>
> I would like to know what Vim users think about Dvorak keyboard. How does
> these two fit together? Those who do use Vim with Dvorak keyboard, have you
> made some special configurations with your editor?

I have been using a Dvorak keyboard layout for several years now. I
have been using Vim for a little over two years.

My experience with Dvorak in general has been nothing but positive. My
hands no longer get sore after long typing sessions, and I'm typing
about 3 times faster than I did on QWERTY (though it took a while to
get there).

As for Vim being designed for QWERTY, I think that's nothing but a
common misconception. I put off trying Vim for years because people
told me that. As it turns out, the only keys I can with full
confidence say were designed for QWERTY are the hjkl "basic" movement
keys. But on US-Dvorak at least, I actually found it easier to learn
these commands that I believe I would have in QWERTY, because jk (down/
up) are both pressed with the left hand, whereas hl (left/right) are
pressed with the right hand, giving a logical separation between the
two. You, having already learned Vim, will require some time to adjust
to the new layout, but that's true for typing in general, not just
Vim.

Other commonly used keys like w, B, e, t, F, etc. are easily
remembered by what they do, and are no harder to reach on Dvorak. /,
^, etc. don't change much either.

You WILL find that you use DIFFERENT commands with a Dvorak layout,
for example I use _ instead of ^, since it is much easier to reach on
Dvorak. And I'm not saying you won't find yourself typing painfully
slow for a few weeks or more. But afterwards, I think the rewards are
worth it.