>>> I'm regularly doing :split filename1 followed by :split filename2
>>> followed by :split filename3 and was trying to do :split filename* but
>>> this didn't work. The goal would be to split the window in as many
>>> pieces as the number of files that match filename* and have each of
>>> the matching files in it's own split window.
>>>
>>> Basically I'm trying to automate :split filename1 :split filename2
>>> :split filename3 etc etc.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to do this?
>>
>> You can do
>>
>>     :args filename*
>>
>> to set the argument list to that set of files, then
>>
>>     :all
>>
>> to open each file in the argument list in a new window.
>
> Wow, this is great, thanks! If I would have known this in the last 10
> years..... :)

This in itself is pretty cool, but now I'd like to make something even
cooler by hooking up a custom function to do this. This is where I'm
currently failing. What I'd like to see is when I type

:msplit filename*

then this should be equivalent to

:args filename*
:all

where of course msplit stands for multiple split. I don't really know
how vim functions work, so far I was always copy-pasting already
working stuff and only modified them for myself. So based on this
limited experience what I tried was

function! Msplit( expr )
    args a:expr
    all
endfunction

but this (maybe trivially) doesn't work. What would be the way to do this?

Cheers,
Daniel