On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On Wed, September 23, 2009 8:20 am, pansz wrote:
>> When you exit, and start vim without command-line arguments, the buffers
>> are still there, use :ls list all buffers.
>>
>> When you start vim with a file name as argument, the buffers are
>> cleared, use :ls list only the opened file and my buffer lists are lost
>> forever.
>>
>> Is there anyway to preserve the buffer list when I start vim with a file
>> name? Or if anyone can provide ideas on save/restore the buffer list so
>
> I don't think so. :h 'viminfo' explicitly states that:
>
> ,----
> | %     When included, save and restore the buffer list.  If Vim is
> |       started with a file name argument, the buffer list is not
> |       restored.  If Vim is started without a file name argument, the
> |       buffer list is restored from the viminfo file.  Buffers
> |       without a file name and buffers for help files are not written
> |       to the viminfo file.
> |       When followed by a number, the number specifies the maximum
> |       number of buffers that are stored.  Without a number all
> |       buffers are stored.
> `----

In a new enough vim, you might be able to hack something together
using v:oldfiles.  Or...  well, this is even more of a hack, in my
opinion, but it works.  If you have % in your viminfo option, you can
do 'vim a b c' and then :qa to get a b and c into your buffer list.
The next time you start vim, do it with " vim -c 'args d e' " and your
buffer list contains a, b, c, d, and e.

It's quite a hack, but it might help.

~Matt