On Nov 16, 10:57 am, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@256bit.org> wrote:
> That should work:
> map ,blah :%s/\(foo\\|bar\)//g

I was afraid of that.  That exact lines gives me "E492: Not an editor
command: bar\)//g" Additionally, that exact line entered into the
command line doesn't even work for me.

Perhaps a problem with the portable gvim implementation of vim 7.1.42?
I'll research further assuming my original syntax is correct and
there's something specific to the vim I'm using that's going wrong.

Thanks for the help Christian. I still have no doubt there's some
error in between my chair and my keyboard, but I know not to waste my
time with more syntax permutations.

Cheers.