2009/11/17 Dominique Pellé <dominique.pe...@gmail.com>:

> Mahmoud Abdelkader  wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes, in the middle of a gVim session with multiple tabs open as
>> well as various splits in those tabs, my gVim will just segfaut with
>> the stack trace below (http://paste.pocoo.org/show/151270/)
>>
>> Error message (full error message here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/151270/)
>>
>> glibc detected *** gvim: free(): invalid next size (normal)
>>
>> I'm not sure why this is really happening, I'd love to fix it. It's
>> really annoying to have it segfault like this, I'd assume I'm doing
>> something wrong..

Whether or not you're doing something wrong, a SEGV always means a bug.

>> Any help or chance on figuring this out (maybe have it dump a core or
>> something?) I don't want to run gVim inside Valgrind :(
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, 64bit linux
>> Vim is built using the sudo apt-get install vim-gtk
>>
>> Below are the build options:
>>
>> IM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Mar 19 2009 15:52:33)
>> Included patches: 1-79
>> Huge version with GTK2 GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
>
> Hi
>
> Your version of Vim was compiled without debugging symbols so
> the stack is not very useful.

Actually, just installing the vim-dbg package should make the stack
trace substantially more useful; it contains all of the symbols.  Even
without a core dump, addr2line might help you make sense of the stack
trace... But just doing "ulimit -c unlimited" in the shell gvim is
launched from will allow gvim to leave core files, which should make
tracking down this sort of problem much easier.

> My advice is to download the latest source of Vim and recompile it
> yourself. Many bugs have been fixed since your version 7.2.79  (latest
> version as of today is 7.2.302). Chances are your bug has already
> been fixed.  But if you still observe a bug with a more recent version
> of Vim, then definitely report the bug again.

James Vega said this off-list:

Just looking at the backtrace, this looks a lot like a recent bug
Dominique patched but didn't have a reliable way to reproduce.  See
"[patch] fixed freeing of variable in .bss section of getchar.c" on
vim-dev.  Looks like this may be fixed in 7.2.289.

So, just updating might fix things as well

~Matt