On 17/11/09 20:24, Matt Wozniski wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, November 17, 2009 4:16 pm, Robbo wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just looked for :h cword
>>> but if i write
>>> :map<C-[>  :ptag<cword>
>>>
>>> it doesn't work.
>>
>> Try if this works:
>> :map<C-[>  :exe ":ptag " . expand("<cword>")<CR>
>
> I'm surprised no one has suggested:
>
> :nnoremap<C-[>  <C-w><C-}>
>
> Maybe I'm missing some subtlety that makes that incorrect?

The subtlety is that Ctrl-} is undefined. If on your national keyboard
it gives something usable, it's probably because your keyboard driver
translates it to something else.

The only "Ctrl+ printable key" combinations which Vim can reliably
identify are those defined by ASCII, i.e., _only_ the following:

0x40 to 0x5F i.e. @, A to Z, [, \, ], ^ and _, where Ctrl subtracts
0x40, i.e., changes them to 0x00 to 0x1F respectively. In particular
Ctrl-[ is the same as Esc, Ctrl-I is the same as Tab, Ctrl-M is the same
as Enter, etc.

Ctrl+lowercase is the same as Ctrl+ the corresponding uppercase, i.e.
Ctrl+letter is the same as Ctrl+Shift+ the same letter

Ctrl+? is 0x7F (DEL)

That's all. Ctrl+ _non_printing key is detected differently, and may
work or not work depending on which nonprinting key with which keyboard
interface. The results may vary from OS to OS, and on a single OS
between gvim, Console Vim in one terminal (such as xterm), Console Vim
in another terminal (such as the Linux console), etc.

> Also, please note that mapping "<C-[>" has disastrous consequences in
> terminal vim; it's likely to break everything from keypresses to mouse
> clicks and mousewheel scrolling.
>
> ~Matt

Indeed. Ctrl-[ is the same as Esc (Vim cannot discriminate between
them), and you should avoid remapping that.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
The correct way to punctuate a sentence that starts: "Of course it is
none of my business, but --" is to place a period after the word "but."