On 23/11/09 14:55, bill lam wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Mr.SpOOn wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'd like to compile Vim on a fresh installed Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit.
>>
>> Last time I compiled Vim I followed this guide:
>> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm
>> I think someone here in the list pointed me to that link.
>
> In addition to that link. You'll need to grab all depending
> development packages as well.
>
> $sudo apt-get build-dep vim   # for console mode vim only
> $sudo apt-get build-dep vim-gnome   # for gnome gvim as well
>
> try suitable package names in case the above is incorrect.

I mentioned that in the top section "Once and for all" in that HowTo;
maybe I didn't mention it explicitly enough, but I tried to remain
general enough so that the HowTo could apply to any distribution: Ubuntu
uses apt-get from the command-line, SuSE uses YaST as a GUI (interfacing
through GTK2 or Qt if it finds the required libraries and a running X
server, or else through ncurses), RedHat (IIRC) used to have RPM
packages which you could download by means of your favourite browser
then install from the command-line, etc. Debian and Ubuntu development
packages have names ending in -dev, those for RedHat or SuSE end in
-devel, etc. In every case you should make sure (before compiling Vim)
that you have, installed on your system, every "development" package for
every software subsystem that Vim will need. Which packages these will
be will vary from case to case, depending on your distro and on your
configure options, but if you start the make and get either an error
abort in configure, or a Vim binary with some features missing, then the
prime suspect is one or more missing development packages. Checking the
configure log will probably help you find out exactly which packages
configure didn't find (preferably IMHO the "summary" log obtained by
"teeing" the stdout & stderr from the "make config" or "make" run, it is
already quite long even without all the debug stuff added in
auto/config.log).

Best regards,
Tony.