On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 09:42:24PM EST, Marc Weber wrote:
> Excerpts from Chris Jones's message of Mon Dec 14 03:26:34 +0100 2009:

[..]

> > Has anyone implemented this feature and could possibly comment on
> > the above?

> I use the feature to make a background sh process call back into vim
> telling it that a background process has finshed.
> I've never seen what you encountered.

Ah, very interesting.

Why not use something like the write command? Or are you using gvim? Or
is it just a matter of finding the right tty?

Could you be a bit more specific regarding how you set this up? The
functionality you describe is more akin to messaging than editing, and I
don't see how 'vim --servername xxx --remote', e.g. could do that. In
other words, without knowing the details, it sounds rather heavy-handed
if all you need it to be informed of the termination of a process.

As to the glitches I mentioned, they seem to occur mostly when the
client uses the 'non-wait' options. As mentioned in my initial post,
they appear randomly, and most of the time one or more retries gets
things to work again.

I'm running debian lenny, and that ships Vim 7.1, in case it matters.

Thanks for you comments,

CJ