> <Esc>  or CTRL-[ End insert or Replace mode, go back to Normal mode.
>                  Finish abbreviation.
>
> CTRL-C Quit insert mode, go back to Normal mode.
>         Do not check for abbreviations.
>         Does not trigger the |InsertLeave| autocommand event.
>
> In mappings I have seen both used.
>
> Please elaborate the fine points of use.

Well, the help summarizes the differences fairly succinctly:  do you
want abbreviations to be expanded or not?  Do you want the InsertLeave
autocommand event to trigger.  According to the help, it looks like
abbreviations can get expanded in mappings[1] but I didn't get them to
trigger in my testing:

   :iab x hello
   :nnoremap Q oa x b<esc>

and then using Q to insert the text, I just get a line with "a x b"
instead of "a hello b".

-tim

[1]
    Abbreviations are never recursive.  You can use
    ":ab f f-o-o" without any problem.  But
    abbreviations can be mapped.
       -just above :help :abbreviate-local