I like to save the state of my files before I leave vim using the
:mkview command, and reload it using the :loadview command,
so I tried to add them to the .vimrc file to get vim to do this
automatically:

au BufWinLeave * mkview
au BufWinEnter * silent loadview

But everytime it runs, I get a strange error:

Error detected while processing BufWinLeave Auto commands for "*":
E739: Cannot create directory: /Users/myusername/.vim/view
E190: Cannot open "/Users/myusername/.vim/view/~=+.vimrc=" for writing

It can't create the necessary director for some reason. I am running
on an administrator
account, so I have all the permissions necessary.