On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM, A. S. Budden <abud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/1/26 Stroller <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk>:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I joined this group because I've been trying to use vim more seriously for
>> about a month or so now, but every problem I have encountered to date I have
>> been able to resolve with Google. Today, Google has let me down.
>>
>> After searching for something, I typically type "/frhfurhfuhru" in order to
>> clear the search string, because I find the bright yellow highlighting
>> distracting.
>
> I use the following mapping to make this easier:
>
> nnoremap <ESC> :noh<CR><ESC>

In my experience, using <Esc> as the LHS of a map can have disastrous
side effects in terminal vim, up to and including breaking most of the
non-alphanumeric keys on the keyboard (including the arrow keys,
delete, function keys, page keys, mouse selection, mousewheel
scrolling, etc).  I personally recommend this map:

    :nnoremap <C-L> :nohl<CR><C-L>

It just seems like a natural extension of <C-L>s default behavior.

~Matt