[...]

> > Note that there is nothing to indicate that the "and others, ..."
> > parenthetical applies only when the default argument is used. Am I
> > misinterpreting the help, or is this a bug? Note that the same
> > discrepancy seems to exist for the :split command.
>
> If you have 'equalalways' set and specify a size of a window you have a
> conflict.  The way it's implemented the window is first split (each
> split window getting half the available height), then 'equalalways' is
> applied.  If the same would be done when a size is specified then the
> size will be overruled by 'equalalways'.  Can't have both without some
> special trickery.

Understood. Since the documentation didn't differentiate between :new
and :N new as it pertains to 'ea', I simply assumed that 'ea' would be
applied to the extent possible (i.e., to all but the new window). But
it had occurred to me that this would force the introduction of yet
another algorithm for adjusting window sizes after the window
creation.

Thanks,
Brett Stahlman