On 17/12/09 04:38, John Little wrote:
Hi
  | ą cursor in paragraph 1 - delete paragraph 1
  | ˛ go to start of paragraph 3
  | ł select paragraph 3 and replace by paragraph 1

Those were garbled in google groups in Firefox.  ą = latin small a
with ogonek, ˛ = ogonek, ł = small l with stroke, all Polish letters.

also (and the same way) when reading list mail as mail on Gmail's POP server in SeaMonkey (version 2.0.3pre if it makes any difference)

mailer got to see our superscripts ¹, ², ³  in my case, the way they're

Those are fine.

ditto.

Cheers

ą U+0105 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH OGONEK
˛ U+02DB SPACING OGONEK
ł U+0142 LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH STROKE

In ISO-8859-2 ("Central European"), these are respectively encoded as

0xB1, which is plus-minus in Latin1
0xB2, which is superscript-2 in Latin1
0xB3, which is superscript-3 in Latin1

These Latin1 (aka ISO-8859-1) characters are the same in Windows-1252 and also in Latin9 aka ISO-8859-15. All three are "Western" encodings. None of these bytes is valid in MacRoman AFAIK.

Superscript-1 is 0xB9 in Latin1 (or U+00B9 in Unicode); 0xB9 means š in ISO-8859-2 (LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON, which in Unicode would be U+0161).

I suppose that the OP mistyped ± for ¹, and that for some reason his mailer or browser converted Latin1 (thinking that it was Latin2) to UTF-8 (which is declared as the post's encoding in its Content-Type header).

Best regards,
Tony.
251. You've never seen your closest friends who usually live WAY too far away.