(defun sum (list)
       (loop for item in list
          summing item))

I'm also sure that the last and shortest Common Lisp version is the
easiest for me.

I must say that it barely counts, though. It's borderline on defining a
sum function using a sum function.

On the whole, I liked the rest of your post, though, and the only other
comment I'll make is that Vimscript has some higher order functions, as
do many other imperative/procedural languages, so although perhaps not
all that common, they're far from rare, though obviously they feature
most strongly in functional, logic and similar languages.

Ben.