John Culleton wrote:
On Tuesday 02 March 2010 09:45:29 Stahlman Family wrote:
John Culleton wrote:
I set the keymap to accents.  Now, how do I type e.g. an acute accent  in
French?  I have tried typing 'e and \'e but all I get are those
characters.
CTRL-K e' ==> é
CTRL-K e` ==> è

:help digraph

Brett Stahlman

I am looking for a Vim only solution i.e. that does not require remapping
the system keyboard.

Thanks for the replies. I stumbled across another method:
set keymap=accents
set iminsert=1

Then in insert mode type <ctrl>k.
Now the digraph `a gives a a grave, 'a gives a a acute and so on. Note that the digraphs are reversed using this technique. The problem is shifting back to to regular keying. I don't know how to turn off accenting other than set iminsert=0
An older solution -- EasyAccents.vim (http://mysite.verizon.net/astronaut/vim/index.html#EASYACCENTS).

To enable:  :EZA
To disable: :EZA  (it toggles)

To use: if g:EasyAccents_VowelFirst is 1, then a' , e', e: does the obvious
If g:EasyAccents_VowelFirst is 0, then 'a, 'e, :e does the obvious

Regards,
Chip Campbell