AFAIK, it shouldn't parse it if you run:

:!make
(shell out to the 'make' command)

rather than:

:make!
(run vim's ':make' command without jumping to the first error)

The latter uses 'makeprg', and sets up quickfix.  If you're not using
quickfix, you probably won't notice a difference.  If you are, though,
you need to use the slow version.  But, maybe you could tweak
'errorformat' to get better performance?

Yep, running :!make doesn't cause the delay. That's great to know. I don't use quickfix, so this seems like a good solution.

But something doesn't add up here. If I put a ">/dev/null" at the end of every compiler line so that no text it sent to the screen, it still pauses. It's as if Vim is timing out, or expecting some kind of output (maybe it catches STDERR?) that it's not receiving.

Just for fun, I put a "gcc mytestfile.c" at the end of the Makefile, but that didn't trick Vim into going faster.