On Friday 12 March 2010 01:24:36 pm Charles Campbell wrote:

> Miklos Somogyi wrote:
> > As I am not a big Nix-er, I'll need a very calm day alone to
> > go through with this installation. I'm sure I'll need to
> > find and download a lot of things Vim needs. Probably I'll
> > do what you suggested because vim's slowness really bothers
> > me.
>
> I'm not a mac user; however, I don't notice any particular
>  slowness with  vim (linux).  Syntax highlighting can be a
>  cpu-intensive task, though. May I suggest:
>
> * try LargeFile.vim and see if that speeds things up (let
>  g:LargeFile=  0  in your .vimrc to get it to trigger).
> * compile vim for the "tiny" model
>
> I expect one or both to ideas to speed vim up for you.

speed is important to me too, but my way of achieving it is less
radical than charles'

    - yes, i build my own, which allows me to remove things from
it i know i will never need -- conveniently everything i don't
want is grouped near the beginning of feature.h:  rightleft,
arabic, farsi, and emacs-tags -- never use 'em, no reason to
build them in

    - another thing i don't build in is any other-language
scripting services -- i've recently become a fan of tcl, but have
yet to run into any use for it i can't easily accomplish with vim
scripting in concert with vim filtering -- and i can filter
through anything, be it a tcl script, or python, or awk, or c, or
whatever is handy at the time -- and by keeping my scripts
external, they are also available for command-line use

    - i like features, so i build "big" -- i've never needed
profiling, so i don't build "huge," as much because the name just
sounds code-bloaty as anything

    - after building i am almost fanatical in my efforts to avoid
and i use CSApprox, which makes colors in vim a joy to behold --
you really will benefit from CSApprox if you are going to work
exclusively in console vim -- all the rest are not welcome in my
vim instances, and i have a whole section of my .vimrc devoted to
refusing admitance to a clamoring hoard of unwanted plugins:

"let g:loaded_netrw = 1
"let g:loaded_vimballPlugin = 1
let g:CSApprox_konsole = 1
"  some scripts we don't need:
let g:html_use_css = 1
let g:loaded_getscriptPlugin = 1
let g:loaded_gzip = 1
let g:loaded_matchparen = 1
let g:loaded_rrhelper = 1
let g:loaded_tarPlugin = 1
let g:loaded_zipPlugin = 1
let g:no_mail_maps = 1
let g:no_plugin_maps = 1

oh ya i forgot i allow vimball too, which saves keystrokes
installing netrw

this makes for a lean and mean vim -- you don't need a tiny build
to get speed, just go for a sensible build and you'll have
something useful and fast

sc