On 19/03/10 02:19, MK wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:00:03 -0400
MK<halfcountp...@intergate.com>  wrote:
What determines whether clientserver is compiled in?  There is nothing
about it under  "configure --help".

apt-get build-dep resolved this (thanks again John) but I am still
curious which package would be required, if anyone knows...

Is there any file I can check, post config, for the "+" an "-"?  (IMO
vim would benefit from some more informative reporting after configure.)

1) It's not +clientconfig but +clientserver

2) As shown by the N in the left margin of ":help +clientserver", you need Normal features or better.

3) Except on Windows, communication between server and client goes through X11, so in that case you need both the --with-x configuration option (or default) at compile-time (which, in turn, requires one or more X11 "development" packages to be installed) and an available X server at run-time. (Any native-Windows Vim should be able to send and receive the required Windows messages).

4) To check exactly which settings configure has set, look into src/auto/config.mk (a "Makefile include file") and/or src/auto/config.h (a "C/C++ include file"), both of which are generated by configure. Also src/feature.h which defines some features in terms of other ones. For instance the latter has (among others, of course)

/*
 * +clientserver        Remote control via the remote_send() function
 *                      and the --remote argument
 */
#if (defined(WIN32) || defined(FEAT_XCLIPBOARD)) && defined(FEAT_EVAL)
# define FEAT_CLIENTSERVER
#endif

If you know the exact C name of a define, then cscope or ctags can help you find where it was defined. See
        :help tagsrch.txt
        :help ctags
        the "tags" target in src/Makefile
        :help if_cscop.txt
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Cscope

5) configure leaves an extremely detailed report of what it did (too detailed for many people including me, but useful to track a bug or a misconfiguration) in src/auto/config.log . Myself, I prefer to log (via |tee ) the stdout/stderr output from make (including the configure output when I run configure through make; I never invoke configure except through make). This configure log is somewhat less verbose than the one in src/auto but it still includes a lot of detail. In case of early abort, scan it from the end upwards.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
                -- Oscar Wilde