2010/3/24 Christian Brabandt <cbli...@256bit.org>

> On Wed, March 24, 2010 2:23 pm, lmhelp2 wrote:
> > For the moment, I am just trying to view the file's contents...
> > some other program is supposed to perform things afterwards
> > I haven't yet faced that matter.
>
> I think less and probably also more/most only load that part
> of the data that they display.

I just went to say that. But less will probably probably spent much more
memory than 'more' (it's not a joke ;-)) because it can transparently handle
streams (but I think remember that it uses intermediate file to do that).

...Of course. But it could be interesting to use the option -B (and,
optionally, -b).

By the way, you can try it and, if goes bad, then use more instead.

Also, with sed, you may use -u option to avoid buffering problems.

Regards.

--
Linux Registered User #164872